The best carving knife is one of those tools that is a must-have for your kitchen especially if you are someone who absolutely loves BBQs or meat roasts. These thin and long knives are extremely sharp and slice through the meat leaving a clean edge.
When it comes to cutting a large rack of meats nothing can do a better job than these carving knives.
The market is absolutely filled with a variety of several different carving knives from dozens of brands.
If you are someone interested in purchasing a good quality carving knife then you have found the right place to look for suggestions. We have reviewed some renowned brands that you can trust and they have amazing lines of products to choose from.
Best Carving Knife – Top 14 Reviewed
1. Wusthof Carving Set
It is impossible to not talk about the German-made, Wusthof classic carving knife set when we are discussing the best knives in the market.
This knife set is ideal for every kitchen. It is a classic 2 piece hollow ground carving set.
Together they make the ideal pair for carving any type of meat like turkey, roasts, or hams. This knife and fork are made with precision edge technology to create a sharp blade that retains its edge for longer time.
- The set consists of a carving knife and a fork to support. The carving knife is about 8 inches long in length and the fork is 6 inches.
- The blade is made up of specialized stainless steel with high carbon technology.
- It is also accompanied by a synthetic handle that has been riveted thrice which provides you with balance, comfort, and strength while carving the meats.
- This knife is extremely sharp and strong which is ideal for carving the toughest meat off the bones as well.
2. Wusthof-Trident Carving Knife
The Wusthof trident classic 9 hollow edge carving knife is a top quality carving knife that has won the hearts of many with its excellence.
This Wusthod carving knife is long and thin and has a blade length of 9 inches that can carve any kind of meat ranging from poultry to roasts. This knife is made in Germany and an ideal match for you if you are looking to invest in the best carving knife.
- The blade is bolstered and the tang is forged from one piece of stainless high carbon steel which makes it extremely durable and long lasting.
- The best part about the knife is its high-quality polypropylene handles that have been riveted thrice giving it a better grip and overall comfort while handling.
- The blades are designed with a hollow alternative pattern that is great to avoid food getting clung to the knife while slicing.
- It is best for the job and cuts the meat with utter perfection.
3. DALSTRONG Carving Knife
Not only is this carving knife razor sharp but it has also been intelligently produced with next-level flexible blade technology making it easier and quicker for you to make the cuts you desire.
We all know that German products scream quality and this carving knife is no exception, the blade is made of high-carbon German steel that has been hand polished, giving it that high quality sheen that will glimmer in your kitchen.
It has never been easier to debone, skim, trim and butterfly your meat than with this DALSTRONG carving knife.
- This carving knife is versatile, it will help you have a steady hand and be precise when cutting.
- You will be able to cut perfectly uniform slices of meat without ripping or shredding, ideal for when the family comes over for dinner.
- This DALSTRONG carving knife is here to stay as the blade is easy to sharpen time and time again and quickly polishes clean, restoring its original shine.
- The knife also stays cleaner for longer as it is made of stainless steel and chromium for extra stain resistance.
4. Zwilling J.A. Henckels Carving Knife
This Zwilling carving knife does exactly what the name entails. It looks and it cuts professionally.
It can be irritating having to continuously sharpen your carving knife and even more frustrating when you come to do so and you notice that the knife has a chip in the blade that you know will be tricky or almost impossible to remove.
Luckily, Zwilling J.A Henckels has created this professional carving knife that is making carving an all-round more enjoyable experience for kitchen lovers.
- Looking for a knife that will keep that initial shine and sharpness for longer? Then I think you have found it.
- This professional carving knife has been specially produced to stay cleaner and shinier for longer. How you may ask. It has better resistance to corrosion, pitting, denting, chipping and eventual discoloration thanks to Friodur ice hardening.
- It is also made of high-carbon stainless steel which means it will not stain easily and protects the knife from the annoying rust.
- The blade is laser controlled meaning it will stay sharper for longer.
- This carving knife can be used to cut fine slices of poultry, roasted meats, hams and more. The thin blade will help you to slice more precisely.
5. Zelite Infinity
This knife is really ideal for professional chefs and lovers of good old fashioned home cooking. It will help you to slice with precision any cut of steak, poultry, fish, hams or brisket and other large pieces of BBQ meat.
The grip on the handle of this Zelite Infinity carving knife has a rare tapered bolster and a round edge, helping you to hold onto it better and keep the knife comfortable yet steady in your hands.
Zelite knives have been engineered by experts who know everything there is to know about carving knives and how to get the most out of a blade.
- A great feature of this carving knife is that the way it has been produced helps it to stay looking newer for longer.
- It is made of German thyssenkrupp high-carbon stainless steel which helps to prevent the knife from rusting and corroding, meaning less maintenance for you and more time to enjoy the wonders of cooking and carve away at new recipes.
- Zelite Infinity knives are designed to be at your side faithfully for life and can deliver such a promise because they are built with uncompromising quality materials.
6. Cangshan Carving Set
Cangshan makes the highest quality steel carving knives that are affordable as well. The Cangshan S1 series German steel forged 2 piece meat carving knife set is one of the best sellers to go for when you are looking for carving knife sets.
This Cangshan series set includes a carving knife of 9 inches blade accompanied with a 5.5-inch handle and a fork of 10.85 inches.
The set has been approved by the National Sanitation Foundation which makes it an ideal choice to go for. It comes in a gorgeous crème color and the design is patent pending as well.
- The handles are ergonomic which makes it excellent to grip onto a very comfortable to work with for a longer time.
- The knife tangs have been riveted thrice for giving it brilliant control and robustness.
- The set is made up of tough forged German steel which makes it excellent to slice through the toughest of meats.
- It is a perfect carving set for your kitchen and is even preferred by the professionals.
- Its longevity will never fail to awe you and is a must to invest knife set if you are someone who loves to cook meats and roasts.
7. Mercer Culinary Carving Knife
The Mercer Culinary Genesis forged carving knife stands amongst the finest ones to choose from.
It is one knife that you cannot pass on given that the price is at a moderate range.
It is a 10 inch long carving knife and made out of the finest materials to ensure durability and longevity.
- It is made of the best quality high carbon German steel that is stain proof and anti-corrosive as well. It also won’t discolor over time.
- The handle is ergonomic which tends to provide you with the best comfort while handling and prevent slipping when held with a wet hand.
- The bolster adds extra strength to the knife and makes it extremely durable along with proper balance while slicing.
- It also comes with a short bolster option if you are looking for a smaller one.
- The knife has the most promising sharp edges to cut precise edge slices of meat. It is approved by the NSF.
- The tangs are made strong and provide you will proper balance while working.
8. DALSTRONG Carving Knife & Fork Set
The Dalstrong carving knife and fork set of the gladiator series is what is claimed to be the final word when it comes to carving knives. The set is ideal to carve through any kind of meat ranging from turkey to ham.
Each slice you make with its to be of nothing less than perfection. Dalstrong is renowned for their extraordinary craftsmanship on their knives and this set represents just that.
The design is extraordinary and is made up of the more superior material you can come across.
- The blades are razor-sharp and made from high-quality German steel with an edge that had been polished at a temperature of 14 to 16 degrees.
- It is tempered with precision and the material of the blade makes it stain and corrosion-proof. The handle is made up of premium quality pakkawood has is triple-riveted for the extra comfort and grip while slicing.
- The knife has been manufactured with absolute perfection and has an award-winning design which is preferred by professional chefs as well.
- It is durable and will last you years of carving. The honing rod feature of the knife lets it perform with efficiency. It is must to invest in if you are looking for the best carving knife.
9. Wusthof Classic
The Wusthof classic carving knife is the most traditional and simple take on a strong and durable carving knife.
This Wusthof knife consists of a blade of 10 inches. This one is specially handcrafted and has been made with a fully forged design in order to provide you with the ultimate comfort, strength, and balance while slicing the meats of your favorite roast or bbq.
- Considering the fact that a carving knife is an absolute must-have for almost every kitchen especially during the holidays, it is vital to invest in one that is the most promising.
- This one justifies all the requirements that you can have from an ideal carving knife. If you are looking for a knife to add to your collection and complete the set then this is the one for you.
- The handles are Hostaform-C especially riveted handles which give you the comfort you desire while working for long hours in the kitchen.
- The knife is has a full tang which is completely forged and is of the most premium quality. It is sure to win your heart and you won’t reach out for any other carving knife if you get your hands on this particular one.
10. A Cut Above Cutlery
The cut above cutlery produces the most affordable carving knife sets with the most premium quality. This set consists of an 8 inches long stainless steel blade knife and a fork.
The sharp blade of this Cut Above knife is efficient o slice the hardest possible meats even of the largest possible roast.
It is forged from one single stainless steel which makes it very durable. The slices that you cut with this knife will never shed and that is a guarantee that the brand assures you with which is why it is preferred by even the professional chefs around the world.
So if you are looking for a high-performance knife set in a budget then this one is just for you.
- The blade is made of the most durable material that is prone to rusting or discoloring and stays shiny and strong for a long period of time.
- Its design is highly professional looking and classic with a black and silver look.
- These knives are made to hold on to their edge for a longer period of time which means that you won’t have to get it sharpened every now and then whereas for any other knife you have to sharpen the edges at least a good 4 to 5 times in a single year.
11. Messermeister Avanta Carving Set
We cannot miss talking about this spectacular set by Messermeister when talking about carving knives and forks.
Meissermeister is one of the well-renowned manufacturers of kitchen utensils and produces high-quality kitchenware.
This series of pakkawood set was specially developed for a renowned culinary school in North America for being used by the culinary students.
The Meissermeister knife and the fork are made from a single piece of steel which is an ideal characteristic of a strong knife.
- The set is constructed with premium quality German steel which makes the knife extra sharp and resilient to corrosion and rust.
- The knife set is made with such superior material is very easy to manage and maintain.
- The brown handle is made up of pakkawood which is an extremely resilient and impenetrable material that makes the set almost immune to damages.
- Not just that, the handles have been riveted three times which makes them extra strong and safe to use. The fully forged bolster makes the knife balanced.
- Messermeister provides a lifetime warranty to all their products and hence it is a must to have set for your kitchen.
12. Rada Cutlery Carving/Boning Knife
The Rada cutlery carving knife is the best boning knife that you can get your hands on.
It is a carving plus boning knife which is about 6 to 8 inches long and has a total length of 11 inches.
The Rada cutlery knife is specially designed to cut meat with absolute precision. It’s thin but razor sharp blade is specifically designed to cut closer to the bones to help you obtain amount of meat.
- The blade is made up of durable surgical-grade, stainless steel which makes it prone to rusting and discoloration.
- The best part about is that the knife is completely dishwasher safe as the handle is made up of black resin stainless steel.
- It is very much cost-friendly and the best quality that you can get.
- Hence a must-have item for your knife set.
13. Shun Carving Knife
The Shun classic carving knife is a Japanese carving knife which is idyllic for slicing meat without shredding the crumbles from the edge.
The Shun Carving knife was created to ideally carve meat without creating any crumble. It has a razor sharp edge and is perfect to slice through any holiday meat.
It has an outlook and quality that is hard to overlook and will surely enhance the look of your kitchen when you add it to your kitchen knife collection.
- It has a blade of 8 inches length and well known for its razor shrill edges.
- The blade is made from 16 layers of strong stainless steel that gives it a classic Damascus outlook and makes it rust and corrosion-proof as well.
- The handle is made from extremely heavy-duty pakkawood which is very comfortable to handle and grip.
14. TUO Cutlery
Here is another fantastic carving knife but this time it is coming to you by the team down at TUO.
TUO are known for the excellent design on their razor-sharp knives and this knife is definitely no exception.
The narrow blade of this TUO knife is specifically designed for de-boning, preparing, filleting, skinning and trimming all types of meats.
- The handle on this knife has been ergonomically designed so that it will fit better in the palm of your hands and allow you to get a good grip on it – ultimately making the knife safer to use.
- The knife blade has been made from high carbon German stainless steel meaning that it is more resistant against rust, corrosion, and staining than other knives.
- It is also a lot tougher and will require less honing than other knife materials.
- The knife blade contains uniform pits across it allowing air to pass between the meat and the blade edge, encouraging the meat to fall away from the blade instead of sticking to it.
What is a carving knife and why you need one
Whenever you walk into the supermarket in its kitchen aisle you will most definitely have seen these long thin knives hanging amongst many others.
If you are someone just beginning to learn how to cook then you must be familiar with the challenge of knowing the different knives. So when you go to buy the best carving knife, the first task is to know which one to pick amongst the hundred others.
Well here arises the question, what really is a carving knife? This knife is basically used for slicing easily through a large thick rack of meat which is difficult to cut with a normal kitchen knife.
The specialty of this knife is that it has a blade that is 8 to 12 inches long in length and is extremely sharp and narrow in shape. Its shape and size make it an ideal option to slice through meats of any kind with perfection. It is so sharp and pointed out that you can easily cut the meats that are near the bones while carving which is difficult to reach with any other knife.
Slicing and Carving knives differences
Although by name these are all knives, there are significant differences in each of its types. Carving knives and slicing knives are very similar but there are some differences that are important to know if you are planning on investing in knives.
Every household has one common thing in their kitchen top that is a set of knives and each one will contain a carving knife in it. A carving knife is the one that is about 8 inches long in length.
This knife is very pointed, sharp and is unbendable and also has a very fine thin blade. Its pointed shape makes it very convenient to cut the meat from the bones finely.
These knives are specialized to form very perfect slices of meat and you can cut through the toughest form of meat almost like cutting butter.
A good carving knife comes with the purpose of carving tough pieces of meat, whereas the slicing knife, on the other hand, can be used for all types of general-purpose and is not limited to slicing meats only. With the slicing knives, you can slice fruits, vegetables, fish, and meat as well.
These knives are about 6 to 10 inches long in length and are pointed as well. They come in a various range of flexibilities depending on their sizes and hence you can use the one that best serves the purpose.
Before Purchasing Remember These Tips
If you are giving a thought about investing in a good quality carving knife then you have to keep some things in mind. These helpful tips are specially designed to assist you in purchasing the ideal carving knife.
The first and foremost thing that you need to take into consideration is the budget. Make sure you set a budget before you go for the shopping trip. Carving knives come in different price ranges and some are too expensive. Go for the moderate prices ones which are good in quality. Always look for a review before you set your mind.
Choose one efficient carving knife
Set your mind for one particular knife that is perfect and ideal for the job. You don’t need multiple carving knives for your kitchen and one is just more than enough along with a boning knife. So choose one and go for it.
Look for a strong and durable blade
Whenever you are looking for a carving knife make sure you search for one that has the strongest blade and that the blade is made of a durable material, preferably stainless steel.
Even if you are considering investing in a replaceable electric knife for carving then make sure the blade is strong so that it can serve you for a long time and do the job efficiently.
Do your research
This is very important before you head out to the supermarket, make sure you do your research on the brands that make better carving knives.
There are hundreds of brands out in the market that manufactures carving knives but it is wise to go for the one who is well known and has gained a reputation based on the quality of the product they produce.
Choose a rigid handle
Although the most important part of the carving knife is the blade, the handle also plays a vital role. Choose a handle that has a good width for grip and is comfortable to hold onto. This will help you have a better hold and control over the knife while carving the meat.
Well, safety always comes first when you are any kind of knife especially the carving ones considering the fact that these are narrow and sharp. Hence, make sure you inquire first whether the knife’s design is ergonomic.
Serrated edged knives are best used as bread knives and not ideal for meats as they have soft flesh.
A boning knife and a slicing knife are the best option for this purpose.
A carving knife is an extremely important tool especially if you are a meat lover who loves to BBQ and roast large portions of meat. The best carving knife will last and serve you for years without replacement.
This article was purely designed to help you understand and know the significance of a carving knife in your kitchen. If you are looking and searching for brands who manufacture premium quality knives then the above suggestions will surely help you decide from.