If you are looking for a swanky new set of kitchen knives then you have come to the right place. In this article, I will go on to discuss the factors that make a good knife, including blade materials, length of the blade and other interesting features. Included in this article, you will also find a handy list of 11 kitchen knives reviews that will help you to choose the knife set that suits you.
There are so many different knives out there, ones that are best for chopping, mincing, peeling, coring and filleting or butterflying meat and fish. There are so many options that it can seem a bit of a headache trying to decipher which knives are necessary for you and your style of cooking and which aren’t. That is why you will also find a handy knife guide included in this article that will help you to determine which knives should be in your set and what each of the specialty knives can be used for.
Kitchen Knives Set Reviews
Are you looking for the very best knife set that will fully equip you in the kitchen and help you to handle even the most tricky cooking tasks? Then take a look at the following knife set review that will help you choose a knife set from some of the leading knife manufacturers.
Cuisinart C77SS-15PK 15-Piece Stainless Steel Hollow Handle Block Set
If you are looking for the best knife set for the money you have budgeted then the best place to start looking is amongst Cuisinart knife set reviews and that is why I am starting the list of great knives sets off with a 15 piece stainless steel Cuisinart knives review. Check it out!
- This set includes a chef’s knife, slicing knife, santoku knife, serrated knife, paring knife, bird’s beak paring knife, sharpening steel and kitchen shears. All of these kitchen knives come presented in a stylish matte black Cuisinart block.
- The blades are made of high carbon stainless steel, meaning they are sharper and will remain razor-sharp for longer than regular knife blades.
- The stainless steel handles on these knives have been ergonomically designed so that you can have a better grasp on them and deliver more power into each slice.
Emojoy Knife Set, 15-Piece Kitchen Knife Set with Block Wooden, Manual Sharpening for Chef Knife Set
If you are looking to save a penny or two then stop right here as this is the best cheap knife set by Emojoy. What’s more, not only is this 15 piece knife set coming to you at a great price but it is also the best knife block set thanks to its variety of tools. Here’s what the block contains:
- This set comes with a chef’s knife, carving knife, utility knife, paring knife, 6 household steak knives, a bread knife, and a santoku knife.
- Each knife comes with a triple-riveted pakkawood handle that is easy to clean and counterbalances the weight of the blade.
- The blades are made of German steel that is tough and keeps the blades sharper for longer.
J.A. Henckels International Definition 14-pc Self-Sharpening Block Set
The best knife block will come with a wide selection of kitchen knives and tools. Check out the selection by JA Henckels.
- This set includes a paring knife, serrated knife, utility knife, santoku knife, bread knife, chef’s knife, 6 household steak knives, kitchen shears, and a self-sharpening knife block.
- The self sharpening knife block is one of my favorite features on this set because it sharpens the knives every time the knife is removed and inserted in the block, saving you time and hassle honing.
- The block has a classic ash wood base and a stainless steel cap that will look perfect when displayed in both modern and traditional style kitchens.
Kitchen Knife Set 8 Piece with Oak Wooden Block Sharpener and Pakkawood Handle, homgeek High Carbon
Are you looking for a set that contains all of the essentials? Then you will love this 8 piece set by Homgeek.
- This set includes a chef’s knife, slicing knife, bread knife, utility knife, paring knife, sharpener, and kitchen shears.
- The hand-polished edges of these blades are made of German steel, a rock-solid material that combats rust and staining.
- The natural oak wooden block will help you to organize the knives and keep them sharper for longer.
Cangshan V2 Series 1024128 German Steel Forged 23-Piece Knife Block Set
The best knife sets out there come with a crazy amount of knife options providing you with a knife for every occasion. Check out this 23 piece set by Cangshan for example:
- This set includes a slicing knife, chef’s knife, bread knife, santoku knife, nakiri knife, boning knife, fork, serrated utility knife, straight edge utility knife, tomato knife, paring knife, peeling knife, 6 steak knives, a honing steel, and kitchen shears.
- All of these knives come nestled in a handcrafted acacia wood knife block that protects the knives from rust and pitting.
- The knife blades are made from German steel which provides the perfect balance between hardness and durability so they will require less honing and maintenance.
Knife Set,15-Piece Kitchen Knife Set with Block Wooden,Chef Knife Set with Sharpener
Here is another great knife set by ROMEKER.
- This 15 piece set includes the following: Chef’s knife, slicing knife, santoku knife, bread knife, utility knife, paring knife, kitchen shears, knife sharpener, and 6 steak knives.
- Long knife blades are difficult to control and may wobble when cutting, that is why all of the knife blades in this set are 8 inches long or smaller, helping you to stay in control of your movements.
- The pakkawood handles are designed to create a firm grip, helping you to stay in control of the blade.
- The hand polished superior high carbon blades are razor sharp and built to last.
Cangshan TV2 Series 1023053 Swedish Sandvik 14C28N Steel Forged 17-Piece Knife Block Set
This knife set by Cangshan comes equipped with absolutely every knife you will need in the kitchen.
- The set includes a chef’s knife, bread knife, santoku knife, boning knife, serrated utility knife, tomato knife, paring knife, peeling knife, 6 steak knives, a honing steel, and kitchen shears.
- The blades on this knife set are made from high alloy Swedish Sandvik steel which holds its sharpness up to 5 times longer than German steel.
- All of the knives are beautifully presented in a handcrafted acacia wood block to keep them sharp and well-organized.
Emojoy Knife Set, 15-Piece Kitchen Knife Set with Block
Here is another great set of emojoy knives.
- The set includes a chef’s knife, slicing knife, santoku knife, bread knife, utility knife, paring knife, kitchen shears, knife sharpener and 6 steak knives.
- The blades on these knives are made from superior high carbon stainless steel which makes them tougher and more rust resistant than other blades.
- The jet black ABS handles have been ergonomically designed to help reduce wrist fatigue and ensure the knives can be firmly grasped in the hands.
Deik Knife Set 6-Piece High Carbon Stainless Steel with Pakka Wood Handle
If you are looking for the best knives for the money you have allocated to spend then this 5 piece knife set by Deik will provide you with all of the cooking essentials.
- This set includes a chef’s knife, bread knife, carving knife, utility knife and paring knife – all of the kitchen must-haves.
- The turn-style knife block allows you to spin the block for easier access to the knives from wherever you are in the kitchen. Not only that but the block comes with a handy ledge which is perfect for balancing a phone, tablet or cookbook in order to follow the recipe.
- The knife blades are made from high carbon stainless steel, making them sharper and more rust resistant than other blade materials.
Stainless Steel Knife Set with Block – 13 Kitchen Knives Set Chef Knife Set with Knife Sharpener
When searching for the best affordable knife set you will also want to find quality knives. Take a look at the best cooking knife set by Home Hero.
- This set includes a paring knife, steak knives, cheese knife, pizza knife, chef’s knife, carving knife, bread knife, utility knife, duel set sharpener, kitchen shears and peeler.
- These knives are top-rack dishwasher safe, speeding up your cleaning process after a long day.
- The knives come presented in an arched, clear knife block so that you can instantly find the knife you want to use.
- All of the blades are made of stainless steel that have a colored, non stick coating that helps to prevent food from sticking to the blades when chopping.
Calphalon Classic Self-Sharpening Cutlery Knife Block Set with SharpIN Technology
When searching for the best chef kitchen knife sets one of the best places to look is amongst Calphalon knife set reviews. Check out the following Calphalon review to see why:
- This set includes a chef’s knife, serrated utility knife, santoku knife, paring knife, 6 steak knives, and kitchen shears.
- One of my favorite features on this set is the knife block. The slots on the blonde rubberwood knife block contain in-built sharpeners that sharpen the blades of your knives every time you insert and remove a knife. That will save you time and effort on honing.
- The handles on each knife are labeled with the name of the knife, helping you to find the one you need instantly.
- The blades on these knives are made from forged high carbon stainless steel for extra durability and precision when chopping.
Knife set versus single knives
But you may be wondering, why purchase a kitchen knife set when I could just purchase individual knives? One big factor comes into play when purchasing single knives and that is the price tag. Don’t get me wrong, purchasing single knives is a great idea as you will be able to tailor pick your knife set, choosing the very best knife from each manufacturer in the exact style you like, but all of those options come with a price. If you are looking to replace your entire kitchen knife set or are purchasing your very first set of kitchen knives for a brand new apartment then it will prove expensive to buy the knives individually.
On the other hand, if you are simply looking for one or two specific knives to add to your kitchen cutlery set, then you will be better off purchasing your knives individually, that way you can have more choice on the specifications of each knife and will be able to make sure you purchase exactly what you want and need.
Another nice thing about purchasing a knife set is that the knives usually come in a knife block, which is not only safer for the family as it avoids the problem of having sharp knives lose in the cutlery drawer, but keeping the knives in a knife block is also better for the blades as it helps to keep them sharp as they won’t be rubbing against other cutlery pieces. A knife block is also a great way of organizing the knives as they can be stored all together and placed on a kitchen countertop or inside a kitchen cupboard. This is a lot easier than faffing around searching for the right knife scattered about in half a dozen kitchen drawers.
What Makes a Good Knife?
Perhaps you have been after a new set of knives for a while now and have been meticulously analyzing the best knife set reviews to find the top-rated knife sets. Whilst looking through the reviews you have most likely noticed that there are a lot of different factors that contribute to a great knife. However, when you read a knife review they all profess to be the very best knife on the market with the most amazing features that you simply cannot be without. With every company professing to have the best knife available to purchase on the internet, it can be tricky to know which features really make a good knife. That is why I have created the following knife guide that will go into detail about the best and most essential knife features. Take a glance so that you will know what to look for when you go to purchase.
Great knife features:
- Handle it well.
A great knife will come with a solid handle that will fit like a glove in the palm of your hand. A good handle will be ergonomically designed so that you can grip it better and have more control over the blade. A good handle will also have a finger guard or fingerprint ridges that prevent accidents while chopping.
What about the materials?
Wood – wooden handles are a popular option as they have a classic finish and are very durable. But wood is harder to keep clean and is more easily damaged than other materials. If a knife is often stored while damp or is often left soaking in water then a wooden handle will quickly lose its initial shine.
Metal – metal handles are a great choice as they are often mixed with stainless steel or rubber, increasing their anti-corrosion properties and helping you to grip the knife firmer. However, a metal handle may not be as aesthetically pleasing as other knife handle styles.
Micarta – one of the best plastics out there for knife handles. Micarta is light helping to ease wrist fatigue. Not only that but it comes in a variety of colors giving it the finish you like. Micarta is waterproof so it stands the test of time. One should be careful with micarta handles as they tend to disfigure and bubble when exposed to high temperatures.
- Know your weight.
Different types of knives will have varying weights, for example, a paring knife will weigh considerably less than a kitchen ax. Choosing the ideal weight of your knife will much depend on what you will be using it for. If you will only be using your knife for the occasional slice and dice of your average fruit and vegetables then a lighter knife will be best for you. On the other hand, if you know you will be using your knife for heavier work on a regular basis such as cutting into tough vegetables like a pumpkin or suede, you will be better off with a heavier knife.
- Blade materials.
High carbon steel – Does not contain chromium so it is more prone to corrosion than other knife blade materials. It is tough because it is made from high levels of carbon meaning the blade will stay sharper for longer.
High carbon stainless steel – Is more rust resistant because of the added chromium in the metal. It is tougher than stainless steel so it will require less honing and will retain its sharp blade.
Stainless steel – Is very rust-resistant because of the added chromium in the metal. Stainless steel loses its sharpness easily and will need regular honing.
- Store it right.
The best knife sets or single knives will come with either a knife block or a knife sheath or box for you to keep your knives in. This will help not only with the organization of your knives but is also a lot safer than keeping sharp knives loose in the cutlery drawer. Keeping a knife in its sheath or block will also help to keep the blade sharp.
- Compose yourself.
The composition of a knife is also very important. Knives that are made up of joints or welds will have natural weak spots that will cause the knife to bend or become loose over time. The best knives are made of single-piece construction so that there are no weak spots.
What Knives Should be in Your Set?
There are so many different types of knives available to buy that make it confusing to understand which knives you actually need. Some types of knives are really similar, so the last thing you want to do is spend an arm and a leg on an elaborate knife set containing all of the knives under the sun when just a handful would suffice. That is why the following knife guide has been provided for you to get savvy on the essential knives and what they can be used for. Have a look at the guide as it will help you to choose the very best chef’s knife set containing all of the knives you need.
Chef’s knife – similar to a santoku knife and is a great all-purpose knife. It is perfect for chopping, slicing and mincing your favorite fruit, vegetables, meat, and fish. A chef’s knife is rather bulky so it is not suitable for more intricate jobs such as coring or peeling.
Paring knife – a lightweight kitchen essential as it is the ideal knife for coring, peeling and searing foods. You can also use this knife for chopping smaller fruits and vegetables. Because of its small size, a paring knife is not suitable for chopping bigger vegetables nor for slicing bread.
Bread knife – the serrated blade on a bread knife makes it the best knife for cutting uniform slices of bread.
Santoku knife – very similar to a chef’s knife but it has a thinner blade, so it is better for cutting thinner slices. The santoku knife is a great multipurpose knife for chopping, slicing and mincing food.
Boning knife – solely used for separating meat or fish from its bones. This knife is unsuitable for other tasks due to its fine blade tip.
Fillet knife – perfect for cutting thin slices of fish and is also helpful for removing bones thanks to its thin, pointy blade. This is also a specific knife and is not suitable for other tasks.
Cleaver – the best knife for cutting into large cuts of meat and bones. This knife is ideal as the blade will not pit or dent when cutting through even the toughest of bones.
Honing steel – possibly the most important item in a kitchen set as you will use the steel to keep your knives sharp and remove pits from the blades.
I am sure that this review has helped you to analyze some of the best kitchen knives for the money you have budgeted to spend. Before choosing your winning set, be sure to make a list of the types of knives you often use when cooking and confirm your list against the knives that will be included in the set.
It is also a good idea to verify the knife blade materials, with high carbon stainless steel and stainless steel being some of the best options available.
Last, of all, a good knife set will come with a sturdy knife block or knife sheaths that are not only a good safety feature, but will also help to keep your knives razor-sharp for as long as possible.
Make sure you consider all of these factors before purchasing and you will have your hands on the very best knife set on the market in next to no time.