Summer is fast approaching and you have the family coming over to taste the beef brisket you have been ranting and raving about since last barbecue season. You are just about to start up the charcoal grill when lo and behold, it starts to rain.
You debate putting your rain jacket on and continuing with the BBQ as you are fearless and determined and nothing can stop you, but let’s face it, cooking in the rain just isn’t all that fun and it is a hard enough struggle getting the kids around the dinner table together under the normal circumstances without trying to get them to do so in the middle of the blustery backyard during a summer storm.
But the good news is that you don’t have to. What many people don’t know is that you can achieve the same great BBQ taste cooking your brisket in the oven, the perfect alternative to smoking your brisket in the backyard on drizzly days.
Beef brisket is truly a southern family favorite and there are so many recipes that have been passed down through the ages.
You will be happy to know that with a few tweaks to the beef brisket recipe, you can also cook it in the oven and with a little help from some liquid smoke, you will still get that great smoky taste that everyone is nuts about.
So take the raincoat off and put your fluffy slippers back on because it is time to try your beef brisket oven-style! Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it they say! You won’t regret giving this one a shot!
Ingredients and Instructions – How to Cook Brisket in the Oven
Full of enthusiasm and bursting with energy, ready to give this beef brisket in the oven recipe a stab? Great! Don’t worry, you will not have to waste time scrolling through recipes on the internet or flicking through age-old cookbooks as I have the very best beef brisket recipe for you, right here. On your marks, get set… roast!
Here are all the ingredients you will need to achieve the best beef brisket:
- Boneless flat cut beef brisket 6lb
- 2 tbsp of salt
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of dried thyme
- 1 tbsp of ground cumin
- 1 tbsp of ground paprika
- 1 tbsp of dried mustard
- 1 tbsp of garlic powder
- 1 tbsp of onion powder
- 1 tbsp of cayenne pepper (optional, for that spicy kick)
- Any kind of liquid smoke ¼ of a cup
Recipe secrets – for an extra sweet flavor, try using dark brown sugar that will give your rub an added molasses taste. For a slightly spicier rub, mix in 2 tsps of red chili powder, or even chipotle chili powder (it is a little more expensive but well worth it for the awesome taste sensation).
So, you have gathered up your ingredients, you have the pan ready, your apron is on you are standing poised by the oven but not too sure how to start or how long to cook the brisket in the oven. Not to worry, let me help you out with the instructions for you to prepare the most moreish brisket in the oven. Follow these instructions closely for the tastiest results.
- To start things off you will need to get your oven ready. Preheat the oven to 130 degrees Celsius or 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Using a large roasting pan with a rack, pour 3 cups of water into it and the liquid smoke.
- Use a small bowl to mix all of the spices together, including the cayenne pepper (if desired), salt, brown sugar, dried thyme, ground cumin, ground paprika, dried mustard, garlic powder and onion powder. Stir them all together until they are mixed up.
- Place the brisket on a meat preparation board or bowl and rub the spice mixture onto it making sure you get the spices into all of the nooks and crannies. Then place the brisket onto the wire roasting rack.
- Measure the temperature of the brisket with a meat thermometer then wrap the roasting pan with foil (to make sure the brisket retains moisture and is nice and juicy when cooked).
- Roast the brisket until it reaches 155 degrees Fahrenheit or 68 degrees celsius then remove the foil from around the roasting pan and continue cooking until it reaches 168 degrees Fahrenheit or 75 degrees Celsius. All in all, this should take between 5 to 6 hours.
- Once your brisket is cooked, remove it from the oven and allow it to sit for 20 minutes before serving. Slice the meat and serve the deliciousness.
Got the family coming over but you are not sure what to serve with your beef brisket? Well, you are in luck because beef briskets go great with a variety of sides. Why not try accompanying it with sauteed vegetables, homemade macaroni and cheese or even roasted sweet potatoes?
Or maybe you are looking for some sides that you can whip together quickly, if you are more pushed for time this beef brisket goes fantastically with baked beans, corn on the cob with melted butter, coleslaw or even a fresh green salad.
When you have cooked the brisket once, play around with the number of spices for next time, to really make the brisket your own.