With more countries and states inclining more toward green, putting ban on plastic bags, people are moving more toward the reusable bags as another option.
Using reusable bags is one of the most effective ways to help the environment as individuals. But, with all the alternatives available that come with the label of eco-friendly and biodegradable, which one would be the best for you?
Undoubtedly, it goes with triple ‘R’ (Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle), there are other things you should look into. Here’s a dig into the world of reusable bags that are touted as green bags.
Bags That Are Made From Polypropylene And Polyethylene:
Polypropylene and polyethylene bags are a form of plastic which you can reuse for shopping. They are easy to clean, resilient to wear and tear, easy to maintain, and can be used for decades. Moreover, they are waterproof, stainproof, durable, and robust.
Pros of polypropylene an polyethylene bag:
- They can be recycled
- Chemical resistant
- Strong and durable
- Polypropylene an polyethylene is a form of plastic
- Low-quality bags are thin and can wear out easily
- They are made from fossil fuels
Green Fiber- Jute Bags
Jute is of the most environmental-friendly, durable and affordable fabric, making them best reusable bags. Since jute does not need any fertilizers and herbicides, it is very green. Also, when harvested, the fibers of jute are woven to make strong fabrics. This makes jute the best choice for reusable bags. Moreover, it’s biodegradable and natural, making them the best material for reusable bags. You can buy them from the store or can look for the best online grocery bags to buy jute bags.
- They are biodegradable
- Are one of the strongest natural fibers
- Quite durable
- Natural jute bags are not moisture resistant
- There can be pesticides
- Mostly, jute products are imported
Calico Reusable Bags:
Calico is a cotton bag that is unbleached and is not fully processed. Moreover, it is very resource intensive and high in carbon footprint.
- The absence of bleaching and processing of this type of cotton bag making them environmentally friendly
- Its fabric is cheap and easy to produce
- They are strong and durable
- Need chemical treatment to make them water-resistant
Hemp Reusable Bags:
Hemp is an eco-friendly crop that grows very fast and requires very little insecticides and pesticides. In fact, it is the strongest fabric that can easily withstand wear and tear. It is stronger than cotton and can also be used for industrial applications.
Pros of hemp bags:
- They are strong, resistant and durable
- It can easily grow in poor soils
- Most hemp bags are machine washed
- It can be blended with other minerals, which make them highly desirable
- It is typically blended with cotton
- It can be grainy
- You need to wash them regularly to prevent bacterial cross-contamination
Now that you know all the different types of bags available, here are a few reasons why you should get a reusable bag as a green initiative.
- Plastic Take Years To Break: Do you know that the average plastic bag takes 1000 years to break? Also, they are hard to decompose, especially from places like landfills. Moreover, the effects of plastic on the environment are devastating.
- Reusable Bags Avoid The Recycling Process: Even if recycling is good, there are many recycling equipment that can’t handle the recycling task. Plastic bags often get stuck in conveyor belts and wheels, thereby clogging the whole machinery. Moreover, they are difficult to separate from other products that need recycling. The best way to recycle them is to bring them to a specific drop-off center.
- Reusable Bags Offer Strength And Durability: Reusable bags are strong, durable, and can withstand easily. Unlike plastic bags, they didn’t get torn off or get any hole. In fact, you can use them for both loading groceries as well as other things.
Reusable bags come with lots of benefits; just look for the quality and pick your best reusable bag!