When you are having one of those days and you are feeling uninspired and not sure just what to cook to get your whole family happily around the dinner table, try this easy peasy lemon squeezy chicken and dumplings crock pot recipe.
I was given a crock pot as a wedding present many moons ago and really did not begin to appreciate just how fantastic one is before stumbling across this recipe. The crock pot takes all of the hard work out of cooking and really helps put your mind at ease.
If you are looking for a minimum (one pot) clean-up, look no further! My favorite thing about this recipe is that there won’t be a whole pile of dirty dishes and pots for you to scrub afterward. Simply chop and put all the ingredients into your crock pot and bob’s your uncle!
The best thing about this dish is that after the super speedy preparation, you can leave it all to simmer away blissfully in the crock pot and go about your business, it has never been easier for you to multitask. Fancy that, cooking a delicious meal for the whole family while you get the housework done, supermom? I think so!
Not only is this easy to make, but the delicious flavors of succulent chicken combined with smooth cream of chicken soup and scrumptious buttermilk biscuits also make this dish a real family favorite. There’s a taste sensation that will please everyone this suppertime!
Recipe and Directions
The best thing about this recipe is the preparation, it is so simple it will take a mere 15 minutes. Then once you have it all together pop it on to cook, sit back and let the crock pot do the rest. You can get on with your day and the crock pot will finish its masterpiece in about 7 hours depending on what speed you put it on. And somewhat effortlessly …voilá! Dinner will be served.
When you have made the chicken and dumplings once, toy around with the amount of onion, salt, parsley and chicken stock you use to really make the meal your own. You can also experiment adding other frozen vegetables to the crock pot such as green beans or cauliflower, whatever you know the family will really want to stick their teeth into.
Once the family has sampled it, go ahead and try this recipe for a dinner party in your new home, it is so easy to make and you can have it simmering away on its own whilst you get the house ready genius, right?
Not sure what to put it with? This chicken and dumplings recipe will go really well with a cucumber and broccoli salad, fried green tomatoes and deviled eggs or even butter beans.
This dish is already quite filling on its own but if you are looking to make it go even further or you are battling to quieten your teenage children whose stomachs never quite seem to ever be full, try accompanying it with roasted sweet potatoes, stuffed peppers or even cornbread and a green bean casserole. You can’t go wrong with this recipe!
Chicken and Dumplings Crock Pot Recipe
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 cup of frozen carrots
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- ½ tsp of sea salt
- ¼ tsp of chicken seasoning
- ¼ tsp of garlic powder
- 2 tsp of dried parsley
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 medium sized onion diced fine
- 2 cans of cream of chicken soup
- 1 or ½ lbs of boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 10 regular sized buttermilk biscuits
- Take the diced onion together with the 2 tbsp of butter and the chicken and place them into the bottom of the crock pot.
- Sprinkle the other dry ingredients on top including the parsley, sea salt, chicken seasoning and garlic powder.
- Then add the chicken broth and cream of chicken soup and mix together all of the ingredients.
- Put the lid on the crock pot and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or cook it all on high heat for 4 to 5 hours if you are a little more pushed for time.
- After the above-mentioned cooking time has passed chop the biscuits into quarters and add them to the mix. Also, add the cup of frozen peas and carrots at this point. Make sure you give everything a good stir so that the new ingredients benefit from the juices at the bottom of the crock pot and break up the chicken into smaller pieces using a wooden spoon (it should be tender enough for you to do so easily by this point). Cook everything for one more hour on high heat or one hour and 20 minutes on low heat or until the biscuits are cooked thoroughly and are golden brown in color.
- Serve and enjoy your creation!